Friday, August 15, 2008

Last night I saw SEVEN birds head for the "dorm tree" out front. A few moments later a very large family group with at least eight half-grown chicks suddenly dropped onto the driveway in front from the air. I have no idea where they came from or why they were flying. They milled about a bit, then headed east to roost. I'm pretty sure they are roosting in the oleanders just north of our bedroom, but I can't see from inside the house.
    A bit more on the dorm tree. It is actually two trees: a Meyer lemon tree and an ornamental orange (or possibly a kumquat tree), which were for some reason planted right next to each other and have intertwined into one very large citrus tree. The two pictures show this: the size of the tree, and then the two kinds of fruit. You can see a Meyer lemon to the left toward the bottom of the picture.
    I will try to get more information on the large family group that may be roosting in the oleanders.

2 comments:

  1. How is it that it is so lush around your house? Are you spending thousands on your water bill? Wish I were there counting quail right now.

    -Dale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:19 PM

    Indeed, the color is spectacular. I am guessing the water is coming from monsoon. I think we have had out share of water in the East too. I do love how the birds hide so cleverly in the trees when they roost. Can't see a single one, but watch dozens go in there. The trees actually quake with their activity. This morning I was awakened by bird chirps. That is new for me. I wonder if a young family has moved into our back yard. Well, whoever's back yard that is out my window. Photos through screens are hard. I tried to take shots of the birds in Chile in cages, got just the cages. Beautiful, colorful birds unknown varieties.

    ReplyDelete