Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Butterfly Sex!

Better yellow butterfly sex  Butterfly sex Blur I’m actually very interested in bug sex. In the summer in the early morning, especially after a rain,  swarms of tiny insects gather in spirals twenty or more feet high to meet and greet—a kind of insect singles dance. As you walk, you can see new insects heading for the  swarm, sometimes from a block or so away. I don’t know what they are, or if they die after having sex, but their singles activities are very visible and to me quite impressive.

The butterflies at the Botanical Garden did not gather in swarms, but there was a lot of butterfly sex going on. Two coupling pairs were pointed out to me by a man who seemed to be sitting and watching for just that activity and no other. One of the above pairs went at it in a kind of “69” position, while the other was more in missionary style.  You might feel sorry for the butterflies being cooped up in the exhibit, but it seems to me they had everything they need.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:14 AM

    I really like the abstract symmetry of that first one. It's a visual treat!

    ReplyDelete