Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Close encounter of the EWWW! kind

This morning when I picked up my watering can I felt something crawling on my hand and saw, from the corner of my eye, big legs. I yelled and dropped the watering can along with the huge tarantula that had been on it or in it.

Luckily, the spider wasn’t hurt, and I watched it for a while then ran for my camera. It walked fast, but very gently, as if floating. The two front legs, which are probably called something else, reached out ahead of it, as if they were canes, testing the surface. There was something very delicate about the way it maneuvered.

My tarantula 8-12-2009 4-03-00 AM 1035x1118 T walking 8-12-2009 4-03-13 AM 2304x1728

4 comments:

  1. Cool, tarantulas are some of my favorite desert beings...too bad it startled you. It is great fortune to have one in residence because it eats the bad critters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeesh! Aren't you supposed to have tags for something that big?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My nephew caught a bunch of them once upon a time and had nothing to put them in so he put them in the trunk of the car. Needless to say, they didn't stay there. Very exciting!! Only a few made it to his terrarium.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Beautiful pictures, such detail. Hard to tell which is the front on the first picture—I guess it's the furry part on the right. Did not know they were creatures of beauty.

    ReplyDelete