Tuesday, August 02, 2011

HEARTBREAK!

I’m very sorry to report that the whitewing dove’s nest, so lovingly built by the hardworking parents, is no more. When I got to the Park yesterday morning, I saw that the winds of the previous night had shredded it.
trashed nest 8-1-2011 9-55-51 AM 3616x2712 Then I looked down, below the nest, to see a sad sight:
                                                                              Splat 8-1-2011 9-51-32 AM 1888x2099
While I was photographing the broken eggs, the male dove arrived and did a double-take when he saw the nest (and his mate) were gone. He then sat on the crossbeam and began cooing, repeatedly, the saddest sound I’ve ever heard a bird make.
Sad dad 8-1-2011 9-56-07 AM 2070x934
White winged dove and nest
                                                                                                                     
I hope they rebuild soon, in a safer spot.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bats :[3:12 PM

    Oh, how sad! They're just "dumb birds," but this is the epitome of their existence, and they worked hard. I hope they'll persevere.
    (We saw a roadrunner doing the nesting materials thing at Cochise College on Saturday -- very photo opportunistic, only we were missing a camera!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mourning dove, even though it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may like this blog:

    www.planetbirds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete