Monday, July 15, 2013

A Quiet Rove and Quail Update

It’s hot and humid. There has been enough rain at the Park (though none so far at my house) that everything is growing like crazy. This morning two different people pointed out that “it’s a jungle out there.”  Here are some shots of the lush Sundial area:

Sundial Circle 7-15-2013 10-07-03 AM 3616x2712

Lilies and Torso 7-15-2013 10-06-33 AM 3616x2712The pink flowers are rain lilies. The vaguely obscene-looking white plant is a currently non-blooming African import.

Below is a picture shot through the main gallery window, showing my favorite little grotto with statues of javelina. I saw four real javelina this morning, two adults and two juveniles. They were much bigger than these little representations.

Grotto 7-15-2013 9-43-50 AM 3487x1787

Quail update: There are still several families of quail around the house, eating at my quail block, drinking from the pond, and roosting in our many trees. One family in particular, whom I have mentioned before, has around ten fairly mature offspring (college age). Over the last few weeks I’ve watched them go to roost in the old olive trees on the west side of the house. Some of them fly into the trees, but most line up on one of the trunks, which rises at a slant, and walk up it into the higher branches. The line is not always orderly, and there seems to be a bit of squabbling at the top over who is going to sleep where.

Olive tree 7-15-2013 1-25-25 PM 2448x3264The olive tree roost. The quail mostly climb up the right-most slanting branch.

Also, yesterday afternoon I spotted what seems to be a lone juvenile quail—high school age, a bird version of Youth On Their Own. She (I think it’s a female) was sheltering from the sun under the pyracantha bush in front of the house, but I just saw her again—or a very similar quail of the same age—out by the quail block, all alone but proceeding with confidence as if she is sure what she is doing.

How did she come to be alone? I can guess only that she either lost the rest of her family in some sort of catastrophe, or got left behind at some point. She seems to be doing well, and I hope she makes it through the rest of the summer. 

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:48 PM

    I would like to see your quail family. Yesterday morning I heard a strange snorting outside the bedroom window. I looked down and saw a deer munching on the grass, then a family of raccoons came down out of the mulberry tree. The deer took one look and ran away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to get a video of the nightly procession. If I do, it will be very poor quality, but might give an idea. And I'd like to see your deer and raccoons!

      Delete
  2. We'd all enjoy a March of the Quail video, regardless of quaility. It really is a jungle out at the Park! Those are the first photos you've posted where you couldn't see through the vegetation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried last night, but the video on my camera wouldn't even go on because it was so dark. It might be better tonight if it's not so cloudy. I HOPE I can do it. Everyone should see that!

      Delete