Wednesday, May 06, 2009

MOUNTAIN LION!!!

urban_lion …or maybe not. We got home from errands this morning to find a flyer in our mailbox:

MOUNTAIN LION SIGHTING ON CAMINO PADRE

  • 26 lb dog killed on Thurs Apr 30th
  • Sighting Sat morning while walking
  • Officer from Game and Fish came out and found coyote, Javelina and Bobcat tracks.

There was also a photo of a mountain lion (like the one above, from the AZ Game and Fish Dept.) and contact info.

I was really excited at first, but then I started thinking. A 26 lb dog is not all that big, and I’m pretty sure that one or two coyotes could kill one. The officers from Game and Fish found coyote, javelina, and bobcat tracks—which makes sense because those animals are very common around here. But no mountain lion tracks.

I think someone saw a large bobcat and let her or his imagination run away. But… it’s possible. Mountain lions have been spotted in this neighborhood in recent years. Our street, Camino de los Padres, is only about 1/2 mile long, so maybe if there is one around I’ll get to see it. Hopefully from a safe distance.

3 comments:

  1. A most sensible conclusion. Let's hope you're wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I saw a large bobcat, my imagination wouldn't be the only thing running away . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here kitty, kitty--as David Letterman would say. Not what I would want either. But I wouldn't even want coyotes eating my dog if I had one. Not that I would have one. Keep your eyes open anyway. It's not enough that the hawks get the quail.....

    ReplyDelete