Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Autumnal Quail Update

autumn day in the garden 9-22-2009 6-46-39 AM 2304x1728

Today is the first day of Fall, and the temps are peaking in the low to mid nineties, with dry air, so it’s very pleasant. The baby quails are mostly grown up now.  Some families were very successful, and raised ten or more chicks. Some of the chicks have full adult plumage (and look very handsome), while others are still sort of mottled as their adult feathers continue to come in.

The hawk shield has apparently been figured out by at least one hawk; yesterday afternoon I found a big pile of feathers under it. I think the victim was a white wing.

The dorm tree is still open for business. The other day I counted thirteen quail heading for it (I didn’t see them fly in). I also, for the first time, watched from the room behind the tree as two quails flew into the tree. As soon as they reached the branches they disappeared, except for a little movement of leaves.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the dorm tree survived it's recent butchering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, what's that about? tree butchers in Tucson? I won't have it! Keep up the quail watch. They are soooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love the gorgeous photo on your main page!

    I saw that you had posted on the blog The Comics Curmudgeon; if you like that blog, you might also like Pointless Planet, which is quite similar but which mocks TV ads rather than comic strips. Check it out:
    http://www.pointlessplanet.com

    ReplyDelete