Saturday, June 01, 2013

The Thirty-Day Challenge

I have entered this blog in the 2013 WordCount Blogathon. This means that I will post every day for thirty days, until the end of June. I did this last year with my writing blog.

KL’s Sonoran Nature Journal has been around a lot longer than the writing blog. I began writing it in the early nineties, soon after I moved to the beautiful Sonoran Desert. I migrated the blog to the web when Blogger became available, ten years ago, and added photos a few years after that.

000_0018A beautiful example of Sonoran vegetation, near Sabino Canyon

(For a look at my early posts, check August of 2003. There’s an amusing look at a coyote and its reaction to water in our usually dry Rillito river (August 16), as well as a piece on bird dominance and the beginning of my obsession with Gambel’s quail families.) .

Rillito flood bridge whitecaps 7-30-2006 9-33-46 PM 2048x1536Flooding on the Rillito in July of 2007

My main focus has been and continues to be the beautiful plants and animals I see daily in my yard and other locations in the Tucson area. I am especially interested in the behavior of birds and other animals. I also love to learn new things, and love to teach them to others as well.

Please join my journey into the natural history of the Sonoran Desert. You can subscribe on this page, if you like. I welcome comments and questions, and will always answer them.

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm so glad I clicked on your post header, Kathryn. The Sonoran Desert looks beautiful, and, as a wild nature fan myself, I'm looking forward to seeing what more you'll be sharing with us in the Blogathon (my first time participating in it) this month. All the best. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I will look at your blog as well. My future entries will probably include links to some of the best posts of the past. There is desolation here, but mostly the Sonoran desert is gorgeous at any time of year.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:59 AM

    That is great. I will be able to keep in touch with the desert. SKF

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will subscribe. This is totally different than what we have here in upstate New York, and I want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bookworm. I used to live in NYC, and quite agree that the Sonoran desert is VERY different from upstate NY!

      Delete